Thursday, May 22, 2014

Move dat body!

I've been considering ways to lose about 10 lbs. Not that 10 is all I need to lose, but I like to set realistic goals. Losing 50 lbs would be slightly unrealistic at this point. (I've actually done it once, when I was younger and had lots of willpower. But now I'm older and, frankly, not that driven.)

Idea nr. 1: eat nothing for a week. It worked pretty well for about 3 hours, and then I needed to find another approach.

Idea nr. 2: sign up for Dancing With The Stars. That's still on the table, but I need to figure out how to become (semi)-famous first.

I stumbled on idea nr. 3 without meaning to. I read The Pioneer Woman's blog now and again. I happened to read a post in which she was talking about her Fitbit, and how it's motivated her to exercise.

"The Whatbit?" I said to my husband, who promptly informed me that lots of his colleagues use it at work, and that it really works. Before I had time to look for idea nr. 4, he done went online and ordered it.

So here it is, the little bugger:

It even looks cool, like an ultra-sleek watch, or a slightly funky bracelet. And it's UN-IG-NOR-ABLE.

Once you put it on and it starts tracking your every step (the little busybody!), and sets your daily goals, and merrily informs you how short you're falling of its expectations - well, you just keep walking to make it happy! The sneaky little rubber butthead!

Do you know where I parked my car today at the office? In the boondocks, that's where! Any farther and it would have fallen off the map (of the parking lot). Not that I didn't find space. I didn't even look for space! I had to keep my little watchdog content. So I walked a quarter of a mile from the car to the office. And then, of course, back! And then I got home and my husband, the Great Friend of the Little Sneakazoid, said, "Let's go walking so you can reach your daily goals."

MY daily goals, ha! I had no such goals, until the Energizer Band came into my life and set them for me. So I walked. And my back hurts. And I'm still 1000 steps short of my overlord's orders.

But do you know what I figured out? You can fool it. Just wave your hand around as if you're walking. But you don't need to walk. You can stay in bed and watch TV and wave your hand. I figure that tomorrow my arm will get a mighty workout.

Gotta keep the Fitbit happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment